What are the different brow tattoo techniques? There are 5 standout options for semi-permanent techniques: Ombre Powder Brows, Microblading, Nanoblading, Machine Nano Brows, and Combo Brows. Each technique has its unique characteristics and results. The best thing about the myriad of different permanent brow techniques is that they all yield a beautiful result, creating the ultimate in flexibility for clients who may be able to do any service or may need to focus on one or two choices based on skin type and previous work done. Regardless of which style you go with, they provide the same desired outcome: Shapelier, stunning, full-looking brows. Say good-bye to thin, sparse brows.
Here’s a breakdown of the differences between brow tattoo techniques:
There is a current lineup of 5 distinct styles of eyebrow cosmetic tattoo. Let’s dig into the differences, who they are good for, and how long they last, and can they cover previous work.
1. Ombre Powder Brows:
- Technique: Ombre Powder Brows involve the use of a tattoo machine to create a soft, shaded effect on the eyebrows. The pigment is deposited gradually from light to dark, creating a gradient or ombre effect.
- Result: Ombre Powder Brows have a more filled-in, powdered look that resembles the effect of makeup. They are softer and less defined than microblading.
- How long they last: Powder brows will last 2-3 years, and they can be refreshed.
- Ideal for: Those who want a more natural-looking, filled-in brow with a soft gradient. Also perfect for those who have mature skin, oily skin or who may not be candidates for microblading.
- Cover up previous work: Yes, Powder Brows can cover most previous work. You must make sure your artist is a master at color correction if you are covering previous work.
- Technique: Microblading is done by manually creating hair-like strokes with a small blade and depositing pigment into the skin’s superficial layers.
- Result: Microblading produces very fine, realistic-looking eyebrow strokes that mimic natural hair. It provides a defined and textured appearance.
- How long they last: Microblading will last 2-5 years.
- Ideal for: People with sparse eyebrows or those looking for a natural, hair-like look.
- Cover up previous work: Typically, microblading alone is not used to cover up previous work, however, if your brows have faded enough, you may have microblading done again and there is the possibility of adding shading to previous work. Keep in mind, you should be discussing this with a master artist.
- Technique: Nanoblading is microblading but uses an even smaller blade or needle to create even finer, more precise strokes.
- Result: Nanoblading produces extremely detailed and natural-looking hair strokes that are even thinner than microblading strokes.
- How long they last: Microblading will last 2-5 years.
- Ideal for: Those who want the most realistic and delicate eyebrow enhancement.
- Cover up previous work: Typically, nanoblading is not used to cover up previous work, however, if your brows have faded enough, you may have nanoblading done again, and there is the possibility of adding shading to previous work. Keep in mind, you should be discussing this with a master artist.
Nanoblading by DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo
4. Machine Nano Brows:
- Technique: Machine Nano Brows use a tattoo machine with a fine needle to create very fine and highly controlled hair strokes.
- Result: The result is similar to microblading but may be more precise and consistent due to the machine-controlled movements.
- How long they last: Machine Nano brows will last 1-3 years and can be refreshed or shaded.
- Ideal for: Perfect for those with oily or mature skin. This technique can also be combined with machine shading…just like ombre powder brows.
- Cover up previous work: Machine Nano Brows are often used with machine shading, so yes, machine nano brows work well to cover up previous work.
5. Combo Brows:
- Technique: Combo brows combine two brow tattoo techniques. The combination is either: microblading + shading, nanoblading + shading or machine nano brows + shading. While the hairstrokes may be achieved with a wand or a machine tool, the shading is always done with a machine. This creates a more defined and textured appearance with added depth and dimension.
- Result: Combo brows offer a balance between the natural hair-like strokes of microblading and the soft, filled-in effect of shading.
- How long they last: 2-3 years and they can be refreshed.
- Ideal for: Those who want a more defined and structured eyebrow look with a combination of techniques.
- Cover up previous work: Yes, they can cover previous work.
Old Time Brow Tattoos
We do want to mention that there was a time when the only option for eyebrow tattooing was a full on solid traditional tattoo. These days are long gone, but there are people who still have the original style. There are instances where these solid tattoos can be removed using a non-laser, non-saline technique. If you are interested in learning more, reach out to us.
Can You Cover Previous Work?
If you are looking for a cover up, it is important to know that there are some eyebrow tattoos that can’t be covered. If you are in a situation where you had work done in the past (especially if it was more than 5 years ago) and you are considering a cover up, we’d like to offer that you consult with us first. Yes, even if you aren’t planning on coming to us. We have a strict policy: We will not cover up work if it won’t improve the customers situation and won’t create a result to be proud of. This is your face after all. We provide consultations via phone, text and email and our consultations are always free. People have travelled to us from all over the world to see our specialized artists.
Just to throw one more bit of information at you: There are 2 temporary brow treatments that can be used in conjunction with brow tattoos, as a standalone service or as a test to see if you want a more permanent solution. Check out Brow Lamination and Henna Brows.
How Long do Brow Tattoos Last?
With the work of an excellent artist who has evaluated your skin correctly and suggested the best technique for your skin type and proper aftercare, your beautiful brows will last 2-5 years. many techniques allow for refreshes after several years. If you have had previous work done, consult your favorite artists to see what your options are for refreshing them!
The choice between these brow tattoo techniques depends on your preferences, the natural state of your eyebrows, and the desired look you want to achieve. It’s important to consult with a trained and experienced professional who can assess your needs and provide the best recommendation for your specific case. One of the best things about DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo is that each of our studios offers every service and our artists are all exceptional at what they do.
Where to Get Brow Tattoos?
DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo is unique in that we offer all cosmetic tattoo services in each location, and we have locations nationwide, including Portland, Scottsdale, Las Vegas and Vancouver, WA. Our luxurious studios house master artists who specialize in one or two techniques, making them some the best artists in the industry. DAELA holds all artists to exacting standards, not just for their artistic mastery but also their manner, kindness and adherence to strict health and safety protocol. DAELA offers all services: Lips, eyeliner and microblading, powder brows, machine nano brows, freckles & beauty marks, brow lamination, henna brows, lash lift & tint as well as paramedical techniques which include areola restoration, scar camouflage, stretch mark camouflage and stretch mark and scar serum treatments, allowing us to partner you with the very best artist to achieve your best results. We serve adult clients of all ages and have 1000’s of 5-star reviews on Google, YELP & Facebook. Clients have travelled to our studios from all over the world. If you are considering cosmetic tattoo or paramedical tattoo, reach out to us for a free consultation, we are always happy to consult, even if you don’t book with us.