What Is Microblading and How Does It Work?
Enhance the look of your natural eyebrows with microblading. Here’s everything you need to know about microblading.
Our eyebrows are important
Eyebrows shape your face and accentuate your eyes and forehead. They also play a significant role in communicating and relaying our emotions- surprise, joy, anger, and even love.
Microblading has taken the beauty world by storm, giving people the chance to wake up with flawless brows every day. This complete guide explores everything you need to know about microbladed eyebrows.
What Is Microblading?
Microblading and nanoblading are the first new-age brow tattoos on the market and still remain incredibly relevant to this day. Microblading is a cosmetic brow tattooing procedure that mimic fine, hair-like strokes with pigment. The results give the appearance of fuller, natural-looking eyebrows.
Is Microblading the Same as Nanoblading?
There is not a technique difference between micro and nano. The only difference is that the artist uses a handheld tool with very fine needles ranging from nano to micro sizes. The size of the needle is the differentiator between the treatment, commonly referred to as microblading or nanoblading.
Some may be confused about the difference between nanoblading and machine nano brows. The difference between the two is not discernable to the naked eye, but one utilizes a hand-held machine tool and the other a hand-held, non-motorized wand. Learn more about Machine Nano Brows Here.
Learn about all types of brow tattoos here.
How Does Microblading Work?
The process works through a technique where the artist creates fine hair strokes with a micro or nano-sized needle.
The artist applies cosmetic tattoo pigment specially designed to add natural-looking, long-lasting color to the stroke. This is different from the pigment that artists use in traditional tattoos. It is semi-permanent and will fade naturally without discoloration.
The result is a full brow that looks completely natural with replicated hair strokes undetectable from the natural existing hairs.
5 Benefits of Microblading
Are you tired of spending precious time every morning perfecting your eyebrows?
Say goodbye to the hassle and say hello to flawless brows with these life-changing microblading benefits!
- Creates a perfect shape, easy to maintain.
- Fills gaps in the natural brow, creating a full-looking brow.
- Saves time every day, no more applying makeup to your brow.
- Creates a more youthful appearance.
- Long-lasting results.
Who Should Get Microblading?
They are a perfect solution for people of all ages and skin types. It is also great as a treatment before or after chemotherapy.
Some people do not grow their brows back after chemotherapy. Having microblading performed before the procedure will establish a brow shape that will remain with the resulting loss of hair.
There are also general factors that may prohibit a person from having their eyebrows microbladed.
However, in those cases, there are other viable cosmetic tattoo solutions, like Ombre Powder Brows or Machine Nano Brows. Your artist can help you find a solution that will work if you fall into the following categories.
You should always schedule a consultation prior to your appointment. Many cosmetic tattoo studios can complete a consultation by phone with images shared via text or facetime.
Here are some reasons why you may not be a candidate for microblading:
- Soft or crepey skin near the brows or excessive fine lines throughout the brows.
- Those with excessively oily skin may not have the healing results they desire.
- The skin in the brow area is textured or bumpy. For example: eczema, acne scarring, or thickening of the skin.
- Previously tattooed brows will always require consultation.
There are a few temporary skin conditions that can prohibit an artist from performing microblading until after healing:
- Active acne spots in the brow area.
- Unhealed cuts or wounds in the brow area.
- Active eczema in the brow area.
- Sunburn or excessively flaky, dry skin
How Long Does Microblading Take?
Microblading appointments take approximately 2-3 hours, including consultation and shape drawing.
How to Prepare for Microblading
Proper preparation is key to achieving the best results from your permanent makeup appointment.
Preparing for your appointment is essential because it can help prevent complications or issues during the procedure.
Proper preparation also ensures your eyebrows are in optimal condition, which leads to a longer-lasting outcome.
Prepare for your microblading treatment with these simple steps:
- No sauna or tanning 1 week prior
- You cannot be pregnant or breastfeeding
- No alcohol 24 hours prior
- No minors allowed at appointments (18+)
- Come with clean skin, and no heavy creams or sunscreen day of
- No working out day of
- No caffeine the day of
- No blood thinners, including painkillers
- Discontinue the use of fish oil or vitamin e at least one week prior
- No filler or injections 3 weeks prior to the procedure in the brow area only
- No deep exfoliation 2 weeks prior in the brow area (ex., chemical peel)
- No retinol products, acne treatments, or salicylic acid 4 weeks prior in the brow area
- No antibiotics 2 months prior
Microblading Aftercare: How to Care For Your Microbladed Brows
On average, the healing process after microblading takes approximately four to eight weeks. The length will depend on age and your body’s natural regeneration process.
- No makeup on the brows for 10 days
- No scratching or picking the brows
- No long hot showers for 10 days, limited to 5-8 minutes
- No use of acid or manual exfoliants
- No use of any topicals other than healing cream on brows
- No sweating in brows for 10 days
- No swimming or sauna for 10 days
- No UV exposure or tanning (after completely healed, please apply sunscreen to your brow)
- No acne products or hydroxy acids
- No laser light therapy
- No facials for 30 days
- No threading, waxing or removal products
Microblading Pros and Cons
As with everything there are pros and cons, life is a constant compromise. Knowledge is what helps us decide the right path for ourselves as individuals.
The pros and cons of microblading are curiously the same. The variable is 100% dependent on the artist chosen. If you use a reputable, experienced artist, the cons are non-existent.
Any time a consumer is considering a cosmetic tattoo, it is important to recognize longevity. Try not to fall into the trap of bargain shopping. This is the time to find an artist whose work is consistently remarkable. Resist basing your decision entirely on price.
If you do use an artist with substandard skills, you may have to live almost permanently with a bad result.
The Pros of Microblading
- Long lasting results: Beautiful when done right.
- Pigments: Better than ever before, all natural that yield long lasting color that remains true.
- Shape: Natural look, shape, and definition
- Time saving and convenient
- Affordable: Consider it a long-lasting investment that adds hours of ease to your daily routine
The Cons of Microblading
- Long-lasting results: Making it critical consumers do their homework to find an exceptional microblading artist.
- Pigments: Many artists still use substandard pigments. These old-style pigments fade faster or turn blue, purple, or red over time.
- Shape: Artists must perfect their ability to create the perfect eyebrow shape. Microblading is relatively permanent, so a bad shape will stick around for a long time.
- Expensive: To some, the upfront cost of microblading can be daunting. Although this isn’t a true ‘con,’ it’s a valid financial consideration.
Eyebrow Microblading Before and After
Compare the eyebrow microblading before and after photos.
See the dramatic transformation and natural-looking results you can achieve with this popular beauty treatment.
Why Choose Daela Cosmetic Tattoo?
Daela is a studio of cosmetic tattoo artists who specialize in their craft. They have become known in their industry as true PMU masters.
Our artists love what they do and want to help their clients experience top-notch service. They are passionate about providing the industry’s best available services in permanent makeup.
They tirelessly work within their industry to gain up-to-date know-how. Our artists go out of their way to create relationships with like-minded artists worldwide. They consistently do what it takes to ensure their products are the best of the best.
We offer competitive pricing because setting the standard for customer service, studio cleanliness and quality of artists doesn’t mean you have to over-pay!
We’ve served over 17,000 clients and earned 1,300+ 5-star reviews. It’s easy to see how the clients of DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo feel.
Check out our locations to see the nearest Daela Cosmetic Tattoo Studio and reserve your appointment.
Eyebrow Microblading FAQ
Does Microblading Look Natural?
Is Microblading a Tattoo?
Is Microblading Safe?
Is Microblading Permanent?
Cosmetic tattoos are referred to as ‘semi-permanent’ or ‘permanent.’ The time the cosmetic tattoo results last has a lot to do with the unique individual receiving the tattoo, as well as the types of inks used and the technique of the artist.
How Long Does Microblading Last?
The depth of the needle stroke can make a difference in the clarity of the hair stroke and the longevity of the tattoo. When done correctly, microblading should last 2-3 years. However, it is not uncommon for the results to last up to 5 years.
How Much Does Microblading Cost?
Eyebrow microblading can cost anywhere from $350 to $2000.
Does Microblading Hurt?
The pain from microblading is minimal. Most microblading artists use a topical numbing cream on the brow area.
They also apply more numbing throughout the process, resulting in nominal pain, easily tolerated. If you have concerns about your pain tolerance level, communicate with your artist. They’ll ensure you remain comfortable during the microblading procedure.
Most clients tell us that, when comparing microblading pain vs tattoo pain, microblading is a lot less painful.
How Long Does Microblading Take To Heal?
There is no downtime after microblading.
You can go about your life with just a few simple care instructions.
The actual healing process takes about 3 weeks.
You can expect flaking or peeling skin in the tattoo area.
Your brows will also darken, lighten, and darken again through the healing process.
Does Microblading Ruin Your Eyebrows?
Microblading does not damage your brow hairs or cause future hair loss. It is a cosmetic tattoo procedure that will reduce the appearance of thinning brows and amplify your natural shape.
When Can I Wash My Eyebrows after Microblading?
Here are some basic aftercare washing guidelines for microblading:
Day 1: For the first 24 hours, let your brows relax. Do not get them wet or apply moisturizer.
Days 2-7: Wash daily to remove bacteria, buildup of product and oils, and dead skin. (don’t worry, this does not remove the pigment!)
Gently wash your eyebrows each morning and night with water and an antibacterial soap like Cetaphil or Neutrogena.
With a very light touch, use your fingertips to gently cleanse the eyebrows. Rub the area in a smooth motion for 10 seconds and rinse with water to ensure all soap is rinsed away.
To dry, gently pat with a clean cotton pad. Do not use any cleansing products containing acids (glycolic, lactic, or aha), or exfoliants.
Days 1-7: Moisturize. Apply a rice grain amount of aftercare ointment with a cotton swab and spread it across the treated area.
Be sure not to over-apply, as this will suffocate your skin and delay healing. The ointment should be barely noticeable on the skin.
Never put the ointment on a wet or damp tattoo.
How Long After Microblading Can I Wear Makeup?
Makeup should not be applied to the brow area itself for 10 days after the procedure, and the goal is that you won’t need to!
You can apply makeup to your eyelashes, just take care in removing the makeup not to get your makeup remover in the brow area.
If you are worried about this, maybe just skip the mascara for 10 days.
Is Microblading the Same Thing as Nanoblading?
Yes, It is the same service.
Nano blades are simply a smaller needle, resulting in smaller, more petite strokes.
Where to Get Microblading Done?
Enhance your natural eyebrows with our trusted microblading services.
There are multiple Daela Cosmetic Tattoo studios to choose from. You can trust our team of skilled artists to help you achieve your desired look!
Check out our locations to see the nearest Daela Cosmetic Tattoo Studio and reserve your appointment.
How to Get Certified for Microblading?
If you are interested in learning how to become a professional microblade artist or are curious about the cosmetic tattoo industry careers in general, please visit DAELA Academy.
DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo is dedicated to perfection in all areas of cosmetic tattooing, including:
- The skill of our artists
- Our outstanding customer service
- Our impeccably clean and sanitized studios
Students at DAELA Academy experience one-on-one training with our master artists, receive detailed training manuals, and can take a live model.