Sunscreen is a must to help protect the color and longevity of cosmetic tattoos.
We LOVE a good sunscreen! There are so many to choose from! So, first and foremost: YES, please always wear sunscreen to protect their permanent makeup. Protect those luscious lips, perfectly shaped brows and those amazing, winged eyeliner tattoos. The team at DAELA want to share a few reasons WHY you want to protect them, and we are also going to share our favoritest sunscreen.
Using sunscreen on your face is important for everyone, regardless of whether or not they have cosmetic tattoos.
However, when you have cosmetic tattoos, there are additional reasons to prioritize sun protection. Here are multiple reasons to use sunscreen on your face when you have cosmetic tattoos:
- Protection from fading: Sun exposure can cause cosmetic tattoos to fade over time. The pigments used in tattoos can break down when exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays, leading to color fading or distortion. Applying sunscreen regularly can help protect your cosmetic tattoos from the harmful effects of UV radiation, helping them maintain their vibrancy for longer.
- Preservation of tattoo shape: Sun damage can affect the shape and clarity of cosmetic tattoos. Excessive sun exposure may cause the lines and details of your tattoo to blur or spread, making them less defined. Applying sunscreen can help prevent this distortion, allowing your cosmetic tattoos to retain their original shape and precision.
- Prevention of discoloration: Exposure to sunlight can result in discoloration of cosmetic tattoos. UV rays can cause the pigments in the tattoo to darken or change color, leading to an undesirable appearance. Regularly using sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) can help minimize the risk of discoloration and keep your cosmetic tattoos looking their best.
- Minimization of skin damage: Sunburns and sun damage can harm the skin surrounding your cosmetic tattoos. Sunburned skin may peel or flake, which can disrupt the tattoo’s appearance and even cause ink to be lost. Applying sunscreen can help prevent sunburn and minimize the overall damage to your skin, which indirectly contributes to maintaining the integrity of your cosmetic tattoos.
- Reduction of potential complications: Sunburned or damaged skin can be more prone to complications after tattoo procedures. If you’re considering getting touch-ups or additional tattoos, it’s important to protect your skin and prevent sunburns. Sun-damaged skin may not hold the ink as well and may result in an uneven or unsatisfactory outcome. By regularly using sunscreen, you can help reduce the risk of complications and ensure better results for future tattoo procedures.
- Overall skin health: Even beyond protecting your cosmetic tattoos, using sunscreen on your face offers numerous benefits for your skin’s health. Sunscreen helps shield your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays, reducing the risk of skin cancer, premature aging, wrinkles, and dark spots. By incorporating sunscreen into your daily skincare routine, you’re taking a proactive step toward maintaining healthy, youthful-looking skin.
So, what do we love the most? Here are Team DAELA’s Top Sunscreen choices for your fabulous face:
All-over face SPF:
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen: This one is really amazing for your face and brows. It glides on your skin and is literally invisible. Buy it, use it, you’ll love it.
- Sorella: Check out Sorella’s line of products along with their SPF line. The SPF Hydrates, its light weight, easy to blend and leaves a nice glow.
- La Roche-Posay: This one is oil-free and recommended for those with acne, oily skin or sensitive skin.
Supergoop! PLAY 100% Mineral Body Mist SPF 30 with Marigold Extract: This is great for sensitive skin.
Coola Mineral based sunscreens are great. Minerals lay over our skin like fish scales allowing our pores to breathe, therefore it will not cause skin issues.
- Supergoop! PLAY Lip balm SPF 30 with Acai: Supergoop! Does it again with their perfect balm for your perfectly blushed lips.
- Sun Bum products found at most groceries are good and easy to find. The Sun Bum stick is great for lips & brows because it is clear!
- Coola: Lip Balm is vitamin and anti-oxidant enriched.
Whatever you use, choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that provides protection against both UVA and UVB rays and has an SPF of 30 or higher. Apply it generously to all exposed areas, including your face, before going outside, and reapply every two hours or more frequently if sweating or swimming.