Though the technique first became popular in the 90s and then fell off the mainstream radar, modern refinements like advanced and higher quality cosmetic tattoo inks and specialized tattoo machines have brought it back into the spotlight. It’s never been easier to get lips so subtly enhanced that you could have been born this way. So, if you’re ready to find out if the hype about velvet lip blushing is true (and it totally is), then here is what you expect from a lip blush procedure, and how do you need to prepare for it.
Prior To Your Appointment
It’s important to follow all pre-care that your artist has recommended before attending your lip blush appointment. A few of the big things include being off of all antibiotics for four weeks or more, no caffeine, and no working out or blood thinning medications (like ibuprofen) day of (you don’t want to be extra sensitive). No alcohol the night before either, as tempting as that wine with dinner sounds, it can make you extremely dehydrated, can make lip blushing painful and cause bleeding which will then affect your ability to be tattooed and lips to heal well. There are a few other important things to follow, so make sure you check your instructions from your artist at time of booking.
LIP BLUSHING: WHAT TO EXPECT
It’s easy to see why lip blushing has taken the beauty world by storm. This form of cosmetic tattoo adds a tint of color to your lips, making them look perfectly shaped, plusher, and more defined.
This is what you can expect during your appointment:
- You should plan to bring a favorite lipstick, lip-gloss, ChapStick or photos of colors you prefer for your artist to match.
- You can choose from a vast number of lip blush colors, but a lip blush really shines with a natural, your-lips-but-better palette.
- An experienced lip blush artist will be able to talk to you about what colors will best meld with your natural complexion for an elegant but noticeable difference.
- During a lip blush procedure itself, you’ll get comfortable while your artist applies a numbing cream to your lips after the shape is chosen and approved.
- Your artist will then take careful time selecting and mixing a custom pigment tone for you.
- Once the cream has taken effect, your lip blush artist will use a single nano needle to deposit the ink onto your lips.
- Once the artist starts working on your lips, the actual lip blush procedure usually takes less than one hour!
Because a lip blush is a form of tattoo, you might experience a little discomfort; most people rate it as a three on a scale of ten.
What to Expect After Your Lip Blush Tattoo Appointment
Once your lip blush procedure is complete, all you have left is the aftercare. During the healing process, sticking to your lip blush aftercare instructions your artist provides is the best way to make your color last for years to come.
This is what you can expect after your appointment:
- Your lips may be slightly swollen in the immediate aftermath, and the color will likely be very bright.
- The next day will be your darkest day of color before your lips start to chap. Don’t worry–the color will fade throughout your healing until it matches the shade you picked out.
- After the first day or two, your lips will start to chap as they heal.
- You may find your lips will be a bit light for a week or two after the chapped stage.
- Color will balance out around week four.
- You’ll wake up every day with the most luxurious lip color professionally matched to your skin tone without ever having to reach for your makeup bag.
You must use the ointment or moisturizer your artist has given you for the entire first week to prevent your lips from becoming too dry and losing color. You should also try to stay out of the sun and avoid swimming or other chemicals for at least two weeks after your lip blush procedure. Within six weeks, your lips will be healed and then it’s time for a quick touchup.
After all is said and done you will have fabulously blushed lips for 2-3 years. You can refresh them every 6-months if you like or wait until they fade and then refresh. At your refresh appointments you can change color.
Where to Get Lip Blush Tattoo?
DAELA Cosmetic Tattoo is unique in that we offer all cosmetic tattoo services in each location, and we have locations nationwide, including Portland, Scottsdale, Las Vegas and Vancouver, WA. Our luxurious studios house master artists who specialize in one or two techniques, making them some the best artists in the industry. DAELA holds all artists to exacting standards, not just for their artistic mastery but also their manner, kindness and adherence to strict health and safety protocol. DAELA offers all services: Lips, eyeliner and microblading, powder brows, machine nano brows, freckles & beauty marks, brow lamination, henna brows, lash lift & tint as well as paramedical techniques which include areola restoration, scar camouflage, stretch mark camouflage and stretch mark and scar serum treatments, allowing us to partner you with the very best artist to achieve your best results. We serve adult clients of all ages and have 1000’s of 5-star reviews on Google, YELP & Facebook. Clients have travelled to our studios from all over the world. If you are considering cosmetic tattoo or paramedical tattoo, reach out to us for a free consultation, we are always happy to consult, even if you don’t book with us.